September 6, 2016

Rebuilding a Blog - Part 3

This post on rebuilding a blog is continuation of my previous post.

My new SEO strategy is starting to pay off and I owe it all to tweaking the Blot.IM templates. I spent time changing the templates for better metadata and tag handling, and it appears to be working. The biggest results is that my bounce rate has dropped massively.

I’ve also added in some goal metrics which I’ll review next month, but I’m tracking how readers navigate through my blog. I want to know if they’re getting hung up on some things and using the tags.

August 2015 vs August 2016

For this post I wanted to evaluate August 2016′s traffic to August 2015 traffic. The screenshot below shows some improvement but also some more work that needs to be done.

The Good News

The good news is that I have more sessions, users and % new sessions than last year. Coupled with a really great drop in bounce rate, I think this was a big win for me and this blog.

The Bad News

The bad news is that my pageviews, pages per session and average session duration is down. However, it’s still NOT that bad considering that visitors look at 3 pages per session and spend an average of over 2 minutes on my site. That’s pretty high engagement!

Next Steps

My next steps is to work on increasing the pageviews and pages per session numbers.

Posted by Thomas Ott /



Content Marketing Internet Data Science RapidMiner blogging Traffic


Previous post
August 2016 Blog Income Report I had a better month. I made a whopping $3.62, most of it through a single click! I was on track to be just as bad as July but my SEO changes have
Next post
Street Photography and Startups If you’ve been following my blog posts, you’d know that RapidMiner isn’t the first Startup I’ve worked for. My first one was straight out school for