I recently discovered WriteFreely and decided to install it at writer.thomasott.io to test it. I set it up on AWS Lightsail using the smallest instance available and a standard LAMP stack image. It took about an hour of set-up time and I wanted to share my installation notes here.
- Spin up a LAMP stack on AWS Lightsail and attach and static IP to it
- Point an A record to the static IP
- SSH into the LAMP instance and change the directory to the
- Download WriteFreely in the
- Unzip the tar ball, it will create a
- Configure it by following these instructions
- Setup the writefreely.service and make sure you set
- Enable the service by doing
sudo systemctl enable writefreely.serviceand then
sudo systemctl start writefreely.service
- Run the
bncert-toolto get your SSL certs and install
sudo writefreely - configto configure as standalone production server
- Get your keys by running
sudo writefreely - key-gen
- Restart Apache or reboot the instance
sudo journalctl -f -u writefreelyto see if it's working
I also reviewed this post from the forums, it was very helpful for Apache-based web servers.
Note: Writefreely is a minimalistic blogging software that lets you create publications. It reminds me of Ghost but in a very early “alpha” stage.